Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Seward Cruise


We went on a nice trip to Seward for spring break (Kara, Jess, Angie and I). On this cruise, we saw a pod of orcas, a humpback whale, a couple of sea otters, and some mountain sheep (dall?). The orca's were so close to the boat! I was hoping to see some sea lions on the beach, but we didn't. We did see, however, some seals and a sea lion at the Sea Life Center in downtown Seward. Now that was cool. We got to touch sea urchins, sea cucumbers, star fish, some mollusk things, and a bunch of other under water creatures. And, I saw my favorite fish to eat- halibut! These fish are so weird when they swim around because it looks like they swim horizontally rather than vertically. Look up a video on Youtube 'cause it's hard to describe. But, they are yummy fish to eat ;) I would love to take my class there; it is a great hands-on center. Overall, it was an awesome trip and the cruise people baked us cookies before we left the boat, so we had some warm yummies in our tummies when we left. Warm cookies just make you feel happier.

1 comment:

dawnk said...

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Alaska SeaLife Center. If you're interested in sharing the experience with your students, the Center has an incredible Distance Learning Program: http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/education/index.php?page=distance-learning.php
All programs are aligned with national and Alaska state education standards. Please let me know if you'd like more info! dawn_kimberlin@alaskasealife.org
Enjoy the rest of your spring break. - Dawn