Sunday, October 14, 2007

Tundra Walk

We are house/dog sitting for someone in a few weeks, and all three of us were invited to dinner. It was a scrumpt-u-ous dinner (moose loaf, samon, fried potatos, the fixin's and stuff). Anywho, after dinner we went for a walk with their dog BJ (Black Jack). It was the bestest ever walk I've been on since I've been here. We walked along a trail out into the tundra and it was gorgeous. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground and some plants still had that soft frost on them. And of course I fogot to bring my camera. We didn't put a collar on the dog so he was running around crazy like, and we were throwing a stick around for him to catch. We came up to this small hill and on the other side were the Kilbuck Mountains. They were so pretty, you could see the snow tops and they were about 100 miles away. We walked around some more and I came across this bushy part of the trail and I spied.... dun dun dun... a birds nest! Cool, I thought, I found some nature. Then we got the idea to pluck it from the tree and bring it home so I could show my class. It was an adventure getting it out of the tree, but I wrangled it free. It did cross my mind if this was legal or not because there are so many dang laws here about wildlife that I was afraid at first to even take it. But, I was assured it was okay because it's the winter now and birds do not need their nests:) So we took it home. It was a great walk. I got to break in my new winter boots, and let me just say they are the most comfy boots I've ever worn in the winter. The snow is already melting, but I can't wait until it snows again. Enough of this muddy crap. I want snow and "blue skies smilin' at me." So, when we house/dog sit, I can't wait to go back out there on the trail and hunt for mouse tracks again.

No comments: