Friday, May 28, 2010

New Summer Experience

So, teaching is done for now. We had an awesome last week together. We went to a park together and had a picnic. The weather was a bit breezy but the kids still ran around having fun. We had some parents walk with us to the park, help with lunch, watch them on the playground, and walk back with us. We had other parents come who didn't really interact with others, children and adults. We had a bloody nose and a couple of spats, but overall an enjoyable time. We also had our grade level potluck. Quite a few parents showed up which was great! It was nice to see some of them interacting with other parents and teachers. The children did a wonderful job reciting poems and singing a song for their grandparents. But, thank goodness this year is over! I've had some interesting experiences this year that makes me believe, even more, that looping from K to 1st grade is not always positive for the student and the teacher. Ah, that would be another blog title later.

I still see some of the kiddos around town, riding their bikes, playing with dogs, drinking soda, enjoying the nice warm weather. It will be interesting to see them after the summer. Given few months, they can mature so much, and hopefully gain skills they were not developmentally ready for. It's interesting to see students read at such a high reading level, but they still can't tie their shoes! They just need some time and kids all develop differently.

I've picked up a summer job this year. I'm working for the US Fish and Wildlife. They've hired me this summer to create themed kits for school use. I've been working on a tundra animals kit this past week for grades k-4. It's coming along very well. The kits include lesson plans for the teacher, demonstration lesson plans for a US Fish and Wildlife worker, hands on materials, and books. These kits are also linked to our science curriculum, so there's no reason why teachers can't use them! After the tundra animal kit is finished, I will start working on a tundra plants kit. The refuge building has a nice herbarium that I get to look through. I'm also hoping they have an insect collection hiding somewhere too! I am really enjoying working here this summer. They are so helpful with directing me where to go, giving advice, gathering information for me, and collaborating lesson plans. I would be happy to work here again some other summer. It is such a nice change from the school setting.

No comments: